Common people mostly have fickle minds; they are always guided by what they want to believe, often with their advantage. When they are worried, frightened and clueless about the long run they are most at risk of doubt and conspiracy theories. For the last six months people throughout the globe are very disturbed by the COVID 19 pandemic, not so much because of the deadly effects of the virus compared to restrictions and lock-downs derailing normal life it’s introduced its wake. They desperately have to return to the sweet normal times and live happily ever after, and therefore they jump to just accept and believe fully when some motivated souls offer that’COVID 19 is a joke, it’s simply a’annual influenza ‘. Thus the’doubt virus’is established and the social networking as always helps it spread-at times considerably faster compared to killer virus. Possibly the basic impulses for skepticism stem from the facts that over 806 of Coronavirus positive cases are mild in nature and recover easily, only seniors with co-morbidity are most vulnerable and that on average the death rate is low at 1 to 4% except for a few countries. However, facts also reveal that the dead includes young people too and everyone can be infected out of this most contagious virus.
The conspiracy theories originated in the United States, as always, where extraordinarily’democratic’sections of the citizens opposed the lockdown and restrictions right from the start symbolizing these with the’agenda’of President Trump. Several conspiracy theories linking even the tragic murder of George Floyd started doing the rounds in the US that we will not make an explanation here just to prevent vulnerable minds undergo and inculcate doubts. We’d only like to say here this writer got a social media forward giving a link to a write-up by some’enlightened soul’who took pains of great arguments to’prove’that the pandemic is really a’political hoax ‘. Once we mentioned earlier lots of vulnerable people got influenced by this, and none other than the usual medical surgeon of the Indian state of Assam who even lodged a FIR alleging that merely a’annual influenza’has been called a pandemic and he wanted action contrary to the concerned governments. This, naturally, created a string of reactions in the state driving news channels asking the hapless common people about their’doubts’on the COVID 19 infections as opposed to destroying the dilemma.
Now, this’annual influenza’theory stops working at the basic premise itself: if that is so then this phenomenon should be occurring every year, and why then this year should really be so different! Governments will not need to have gone on an urgent situation drive to create more and more healthcare facilities including ICU beds simply to tackle an annual event of flu. Then come the experiences of numerous affected countries and governments tackling this’annual influenza’some that we narrate below as arguments to break such kinds of fake and motivated views:
1. Let’s take the exemplory case of the Chinese experiment. Ignoring lots of conspiracy theories about China itself we just ask here why would China need absolute authoritarian measures to tackle the virus (well, even annual influenza is caused by a virus) in terms of continuous lockdown and rigorous enforcement โควิด 19. After being successful in keeping the infected numbers below 100,000 the united states continues to be fearing an additional outbreak, and risking its economic downswing again to prevent its spread. Its aggression against India can also be explained as part of its apparent desperation. An annual flu cannot explain these.
2. Why would countries like UK, Italy, Spain, France, USA and Brazil suffer so much from an annual influenza that killed more than half a million to date and continues to be on its deadly prowls? Why would Italy reduce itself to circumstances of helplessness with dead bodies of Corona patients littered everywhere or why would a German finance minister commit suicide over Corona worries? How one is to take into account a death rate of over 14% (seen in a few countries) for an annual influenza virus?
3. Why would the doctors and experts of the World Health Organization keep on telling’lies’that the new Coronavirus is very dangerous that could probably stay for a lot more than couple of years and the worst is yet ahead despite whatever campaigns or actions going on or taken against it? We seemed to possess accepted at first this pandemic is the greatest crisis ever faced by humankind. Now, why have second thoughts and doubts?
4. Why would countries across the world keep on taking huge risks for an economic crash with unprecedented unemployment and pave the way in which for a recession possibly a whole lot worse compared to Great Depression? Particularly, why a developing country and a most promising upcoming world power like India should risk whatever it’s achieved in development so far.
5. Why is such a mad rush throughout the globe to fast-track production of a vaccine against only an annual flu? At the very least this kind of intensive medical research cannot mask a hidden agenda whatever that will be.
In the last few days new cases in India have already been rising at nearly 25000 per day with the only solace that daily recoveries increasing steadily and the death rate is fortunately still low; the concern being a rising positivity rate indicating community transmission. Only at that crucial juncture we should not pay heed to conspiracy theories and fake news. Such theories have obvious goals: to generate publicity for unknown persons or groups or to make a kill in terms of profit. For example, in case a link for a write-up with sensational and terrifying headlines gets circulated across social networking and motivated media outlets think of the type of clicks being generated which directly translate into money.